Problem Solving Questions
Adding and Subtracting Fractions Word Problems #1
1. Your class had a pizza party. 3/8 of one pizza was left over, and 4/8 of another pizza was left over. You put them both into one box. How much pizza do you have altogether?
2. A cake recipe requires 3/5 cup of sugar for the frosting and 1/5 cup of sugar for the cake. How much sugar is that altogether?
3. You walk 3/10 of a mile to your friend’s house, and then 5/10 of a mile to school. How far did you walk altogether?
4. After a party, 5/8 of the cake is left over. That night, big brother eats 2/8 of the cake. How much is left over after that?
5. You have 7 5/8 feet of yarn to make a bracelet. You only use 4 1/8 feet for the bracelet. How much yarn is left over?
Multiplication Word Problems #1
1. Ellen went to a garage sale to buy chairs. Each chair cost 15 dollars. How much money did Ellen spend for the 12 chairs she bought?
2. Three-toed sloths have four legs. How many toes would 25 sloths have?
3. Albert has two snakes. The garden snake is 10 inches long. The boa constrictor is 7 times longer than the garden snake. How long is the boa constrictor?
4. Albert’s cabbage patch has 12 rows of cabbage. In each row, there are 15 heads of cabbage. How many heads of cabbage does Albert have in all?
5. Marie can bike at a speed of 12 miles an hour. How far can she bike in 31 hours?
Division #2 (with Remainders)
1. An airplane hangar is 300 feet long. How many planes can fit into it, end to end, if each plane is 40 feet long?
2. It takes 3 eggs to make a cake. How many cakes can you make with 37 eggs?
3. 105 people are going to a movie. 6 people can ride in each car. How many cars are needed to get all 105 people to the movie?
4. Ms. Baker has 17 cupcakes. She wants to share them equally among her 3 children so that no one gets more than anyone else. If she gives each child as many cupcakes as possible, how many cupcakes will be left over for Ms. Baker to eat?
5. 89 cookies are being shared equally among 4 people. How many does each person get?